Monday, May 2, 2016

Bloom where God has planted you. Be present.
                                                                          
I will admit that I fall victim to distractions. When I'm having a conversation with someone in person, a vibrate from my phone temps me to check who's texting me. When I'm watching a movie, a slow part begs me to see what I'm missing on social media. During a sermon, my short attention tells me to check the time on my phone.

In light of the life-changes coming my way, I am reminded that I must remain present. I get so easily distracted by budgets and plane tickets. I find myself daydreaming about my new apartment, coworkers, public transportation, and coffee shops. I try to imagine what my daily routine will look like. I wonder if I'll be able to learn the language and establish meaningful relationships.

While all those things are good and normal, I also want to balance my future planning with my current living. I still hold a job in a career that is emotionally taxing, I am involved in ministry at a church that I dearly love, and I have lots and lots of family and friends that need me to be present. I feel like a senior in high school. I can see the end and I am quite tired of my current state and want what's new. What I don't want to do is to look back on my last few months of "normal" life and wish I had savored it longer.

I have no idea where this journey will take me. I may never return to live and work in my hometown. I may never live 7 miles from my parents and grandparents again. I am learning the balance of responsibly planning for my ever-changing future and living in the moment.

Be present.


                              

No comments:

Post a Comment